Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

xlr to rca

I have a 1/2" 4-track tape machine that I am trying to hook up to a conventional stereo system. The machine has 4 xlr inputs and 4 xlr outputs. My stereo is mostly vintage tube stuff, the preamp is a Scott 130. I made a pair of cables to connect two of the xlr outputs to one set of stereo inputs on the preamp to listen to two of the tracks, but I am getting a significant buzz. I used some Radio shack 20-ft. cables, cut them in half and attached the xlr connectors. The negative wire is a braid wrapped around the positive wire, I guess making a pseudo shield. I attached it to pins 1 and 3 on the xlr connecter (they are shorted), positive to pin 2.

The sound comes through fine and sounds great, but there is a very clear buzz in the system regardless of which input is selected as long as the wires are connected and the tape machine is on. I am assuming this has something to do with joining pins 1 and 3, and I am wondering how I can make this connection without the buzz. Any help appreciated.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - xlr to rca - castironandtubes 22:04:40 10/15/08 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.