Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Making Custom Cables - Will this work???

I am a DJ. I have an odyssey coffin where my cd players and mixer are kept. I have customized my coffin by adding some recessed xlr dishes (2 for input into the mixer, 1 for mic, and 1 powercon for power to all three devices - just to make things easier to setup and cleaner.

I just purchased RANE Serato, and if anynone is familiar with the way this hooks up - it is with RCA cables galore!! My easy / clean setup is gone with RANE Serato.

So I got to thinking customization. I need to run RCA out of my cd player (2) into my Serato Scracth Live box (2), which would result in needing 8 total jacks built into my coffin (4 for each cd player - 2 out and 2 back into the mixer)

Then I started thinking about what could I do with a 4 conductor connection..... and my idea dawned on me -- SPEAKON!

So my question is this -- Having never made RCA cables (I assume it is just a pair of wires) could I do the folling:

Take either 4 conductor speaker wire or 2 2conductor speaker wires - and wire it up to a speakon at one end, and on the other, split the wire into 2 male rca cables

rca 1 would go to +/-1 on the speakon
rca 2 would go to +/-2 on the speakon

On the other end of the connection
+/- 1 would go to my cd plyer
+/- 2 would go to my mixer

I would only need to jacks on the back of my coffin to allow for 8 rca cables..

Does this make any sense?

Anyone out there have any wisdom to share?

Thanks
smb

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Making Custom Cables - Will this work??? - stephenmbell@gmail.com 16:35:01 10/08/08 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.