Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: How does Neumann's KMS105 hand held mic stack up?

Sennheiser 441s aren't really used on live tours for vocals anymore. While they take the SPL, they are not the hottest mics. They do have good off axis rejection. The clips are expensive to replace and break easily. Same thing is a problem with the 421s.

I like the Neumanns. I used them on Junior Brown's (Telarc, Curb) vocals for a couple of years. I used them on Steve Ripley and The Tractors (Arista) for a couple of years, replacing the original Beta 87s. Disclaimer. Junior had a Shure endorsement deal, so that ought to tell you something there.

The Beta87s were too sippy on top, and a bit too grabby. They released the 86 to address those issues among other things. They are much better with noisy stage than the 87s. The new Shure KSM9 is a great mic. You should check it out if you are considering the Neumanns.

Also in that tonal range are the Audio Technica AE series. Pretty good mics as well.

My experience was with artists that could use anything that they wanted. We tried everything too. at the end of the day, you are going to find it easier and cheaper to repair a Shure. If you break the mics, you send it in and for a flat fee, the will replace the mic if need be. It is cheaper than paying a tech bench time. A 58 is like $35 to replace, which is darn near Guitar Center's cost.

Edits: 08/03/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How does Neumann's KMS105 hand held mic stack up? - harecording 18:52:53 08/03/08 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.