Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Sound Reinforcement Line Arrays

Depending upon the manufacturer, you might want to invest in their software. That is what the A1 with sound company will do for you if you are the BE. The problem with LAs is that people are using them for every venue, whether they are the right tool or not. So, that would be the first thing to look out for. Are you in a short fanned hall, or a long narrow hall? One is right for line arrays, the other ain't.

Line arrays do not lobe from the bottom like a HA would. They are doing it on the backside.

The biggest difference in LAs is the midrange staying together in the far-field. I have mixed on just about everything out there. I used my ears and appreciated the Adamson most. They had the JBL compression drivers on the top for good rock and roll bite and articulation, but the midrange stayed together in the far-field. I liked them more than V-Dosc, which to me sounded like it had pillows stuck in the boxes over the midrange drivers. dB makes some great sounding stuff that some think blows the Meyers away for the money.

There is a phenomenon that I have noticed. If you are outside with a stiff wind, there is a shifting that occurs that is more noticeable to me than when I was mixing on EAW KF850, Turbo Flashlight or other horizontal arrays. A few manufacturers deny it. But listen sometime and hear for yourself. Other than that, I love LAs when they are in the right venue and powered properly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sound Reinforcement Line Arrays - harecording 20:29:39 07/14/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.