Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Criteria and Resolution

Here is the thing. Pro sound amps are built with a difference set of design criteria in mind. Much like a Semi Truck. designed to be tough, haul any load, go many many millions of miles through all sorts of conditions. and for there intended function they do quite well.

Sports cars, much like high end amplifiers have a much different set of design criteria. they are designed to be light, fast, nimble, handle corners well.

You would not do well taking a semi out to a road course event. the truck wouldn't be very fast, wouldn't handle well, would be skidding and sliding all over the place.

and if you connected a trailer to say a Porsche or Ferarri, the results would end up in a spilled mess of pistons, rods, clutch packs and oil all over the ground in short order.

Pro amps are built to be solid and reliable with a large variety of loads. Not necessarily with the lowest distortion or to be uncolored, or colored in some cases, or to preserve the utmost in fidelity and extract every nuance possible. They are in fact designed to be brute force tough and not die when abused within reason.

SOME pro amps have been reported to sound pretty good. The Crown Macro reference amps embarrassed a lot of MFG's when they came out! and some Home amp MFG used there designs for pro use like the Haflers. and some folks used Home amps for PA use like the old Phase Linears. so its s bit confusing i know. but most of that went on because at the time there just wasnt much of anything better. now days that split is much larger.

a Lot depends on the resolution of the rest of your components as well. I have heard customers tell me they cant hear a difference in there system between a mega buck high end amp and a cheap QSC they just bought. then i find out they have old Klipsch speakers and no wonder why they don't hear a difference. the speaker system doesn't have the resolution needed to accurate comparisons. or they are using an Ipod with MP3's as there playback source. and some peoples ears don't have very good resolution either! but thats another post.

Don't kid yourself. PA amps are generally not in the same class as audiophile grade amplifiers for high resolution playback. But high resolution sound does not have to cost as much as a small village either. careful selection of components that compliment your system/room is key.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.