Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

active speaker + sub

Dear inmates,

This summer I'm getting a computer and well I like to mix music. :-)
I will have a nice audio card ,but my question is what should I go for?
I have heard of Quad which has the amazing active monitors L11& L12.
Which are said to do great on jazz, orchestra, and blow away hip-hop.
So it can do a variety of things. But Quad was soon bought by Verity Group which owns both Mission and Wharfedale. Who started mixing Mission, Wharfedale, and Quad together. Making the Wharfedale 8.1 and 8.2. Which are about four to five times cheaper. The active quad monitors are said even to better then their 2k quad receiver and regular L11's & L12"s. So for about $1,400 a pair that's pretty good. But the wharfedales are extremely inexpensive. They have the same drivers as the quads ,but have ports in the front instead of the back. The wharfedales are no piece of artwork though the finish is just ok taking less then 24 hours to be made. However if you buy the quads you have a good looking piece of furniture. I think they have 7 finishes (24hours each). I have only a few hundred too spend this summer on speakers anyway. So the wharfedales are in my price range.

The Wharfedale 8.1 is more of a boxy shape then a rectangle and has much clearer and smoother treble. Or so people say anyways. The 8.2 however can go down to "40hz" or so they say. Thats ten Hz's lower then the 8.1's but it's not as clear. They say the 8.2 defiantly has hump in the bass which I would like ,but it sacrifices the clarity (not much though)and is $90 more dollars. I think I will go for the 8.1's.

So here's my question what Wharfedale sub should I get? I could spend up to about $500 hundred at tops (for my sub) ,but I would prefer $200-450.

Please tell me what you think. If you have heard any of the 8.1's ,8.2's, or any Wharfedale sub please tell me what you think. Any information on the wharfedale subs would be greatly appreciated (same for the speakers).
All comments will help me. Thankyou for your time and help in advance.
Please shed some light on the topic.

Sorry for any misspells and bad grammer.
Thanks again Matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - active speaker + sub - thetoadsticke@yahoo 15:48:37 02/09/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.