Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: ADAM A-7: Anyone With An Opinion On These?

Yes I have hear of them,

My older brother was planning on getting a pair. The A7's are made in China (all other Adam's are made in Germany)

Here's some responses to my older brother's post about Adams.

All Adams's require balanced xlr inputs so if your cd player does not have a balanced output, you will need a line converter or a preamp that takes an unbalanced rca and spits out a balanced signal.They also have a hexacone woofer like the S series which make them very revealing of EVERYTHING on the recording - the paper cones of the P series render a warmer sound in comparison that is more suitable for extended home listening.
I had a 5.1 surround system of the A7 in my Post room for a few weeks and didn't really like them at all.The Adams didn't sound cohesive at all. The tweeter was shrill and anything dynamic made them sound strained. Their off-axis response was non-existent.

As I said my brother was going to get them until he found something else out online (another brand).

Have you ever heard of Quad? If you haven't here's the scoop on them.
They make high quality dacs, receivers, speakers, and radio receivers.
They made whats called the L11 and L12. However they made active copies of them so there are regular and active of the L11 and L12.
The L11 and L12 active sound better than the 2k receiver with the non active speakers + dac and other products. So the $1,400 pair of actives. Beat the speakers, reciever, and the cd player/dac that were made to work together. Not that the regular stuff doesn't sound bad.
Quad was soon bought out by Verity Group which already owned Mission and Wharfedale. So they started mixing Wharfedale, Mission, and Quad.

The Quad actives (L11 and L12) are said to do great with jazz, classical, and rock, but blow away hip-hop. So classical is good and so is jazz, but hip-hop sounds amazing on them. So they basically are good for any musical needs you might have. Being able to sound good on anything you put to the test.

As I said the companies were being mixed. So Wharfedale active 8.1 and 8.2 came out. They have the same driver. Sound about the same except have the port in the front instead of the back.

The 8.1 has clearer treble. Is more of a box than a rectangle.
It is said to be able to hit down to 50hz's. It is only $228.00!(with shipping)

The 8.2 doesn't have the same clarity as the 8.1. But has a big thump and can hit down to 40hz's. But is $350(with shipping). It is also a very nice speaker.

The big reason on price difference is this.
The wharfedales are no piece of artwork though the finish is just ok taking less then 24 hours to be made. However if you buy the quads you have a good looking piece of furniture. I think they have 7 finishes (24hours each).

My brother is going to get the 8.1's in a month and a half. Instead of the ADAM A7's.

I'm going to get the 8.1's this summer with a nice wharfedale sub.

Spending only about $700.00 or so. Instead of $1,000 for the Adams.

(Also if you have a Guitar Center near your house they might have the A7's now or soon. I know that the one forty minutes from are house is getting them in a month.)

I hope you find this information useful Matt. ;-D
Sorry for any misspells and bad grammar.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.