Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Suggestion

I would go for small diameter condensers as they are probably the most versatile mic type IMO.

Large diameter are great but mostly vocal mics as all of them colour the sound a fair bit (which is what you want in vocal mics ie you wouldn't necessarily choose the flattest mic but the one which flatters a particular voice!) and dynamics like the Shure SM57/58 are not quiet or sensitive enough for low level sound sources.

And for small condensers I always liked the Oktava M012 as an overachiever. You should be able to get a new matched pair for about $450. You will have a choice of capsules but I'd go for the cardioid type as it is the most useful. Just bear in mind that if you are close miking something you will get a bass boost. You can buy other types of capsules separately and extent the usefulness of these mics even further. I compared them once to some Calrecs costing many times as much and couldn't reliably tell the difference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.