Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: AKG condenser worse than Audix dynamic?

There have been several reasonable explanations posted here. The question is how to determine what the problem is. There are two basic paths which you can follow, depending on the resources available to you.

The first and most obvious is to test the mic in a reasonably controlled manner, in other words, connect it to a piece of test equipment. This requires some expertise in audio electronics testing.

The second approach is the "process of elimination", which is a common diagnostic technique (but not always executed well). Changing only one component at a time, observe any change in audio quality. For example, take the mic AND the cable and connect it to a different unit. No improvement? Use a different cable. No improvement? You've just isolated the problem as being the mic.

Regardless of which approach you use, be sure that the polarizing voltage is correct for that mic, AND that the appropriate voltage is being supplied with adequate current, in other words, make sure that the unit is working properly and is appropriate for the mic.

Regarding returning the mic, surely there is a warranty through AKG. I'm not familiar with the particular mic, but as an example, if it's a $50 mic, it's probably not worth the bother to send it in for repair or replacement, but if it's a $100+ mic, I certainly would do that, given that you've isolated the mic itself as having a problem.

hth

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.