Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

AKG condenser worse than Audix dynamic?

I keep testing and re-testing (comparing that is) my 2 microphones and I don't understand why the recordings of my condenser (AKG Perception 100) are consistently worse than the those from the dynamic (Audix i5).
I've recorded a guitar cabinet, acoustic guitar, electric guitar (strings only), and my voice. In comparison the condenser is tinny (metallic), less accurate, and much less detailed. I've tried different mic placements. I've tried swapping inputs into my EMU 0404 USB audio interface. All the same.
I know this is a high-end dynamic and a low end condenser, but I would think that even these low end condensers would be completely useless if they didn't at least capture more detail than a dynamic mic. I've made the condenser buzz a little with an 8" guitar cab at a fairly low level, but I can't tell if it's broken because these are the first mics I've had. Without the dynamic to compare it wouldn't think that it sounded "broken".

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - AKG condenser worse than Audix dynamic? - butterballs@earthlink.net 23:51:10 11/17/07 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.