Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Recommendations for JBL high-eff speakers for home hi-fi

Hi, audiobag:

I cannot be certain about the actual sensitivity rathing for these, but you do not necessarily have to look at JBL professional speakers for your application.

I happen to own a nice pair of JBL L-65 "Jubal" speakers. These are three-way with a 12" woofer, prismatic "077" tweeter and a 5" midrange. I believe that mine were manufactured in the mid seventies and cost a bundle. These days, a pair of just the tweeters will bring over $400.

I had the foam surrounds professionally restored on the woofers a few years ago and these are unquestionably among the sweetest sounding JBL speakers I have ever heard, period.

I run them not with an SET amp, but a single Marantz 8-B tube amp, which I restored years ago.

Here is some information on the L-65:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1975-l65.htm

Go read up on the L-65 Jubal and read what users have to say here or there. You will be quite pleased, provided that they are efficient enough for your amplifiers. Otherwise, get an 8-B and forget about anything else in audio reproduction as far as speakers go.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.