Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Quad 12L active studio

I am going to have to check on the x-over frequency. Did you get that from the Quad site? I may be wrong but I dont think that changed- the Quad site might be wrong. They dont pay too much attention to the actives- you may have noticed :) ... Maybe it did change though... I would be more concerned with them lowering it- but I understand your point- it is any change that raises the question.

In terms of differences, the new speakers are manufactured in a different facility. Mostly due to cost- I heard from a close source that production costs got way out of hand on the originals. The originals retailed for $2k, no one paid that though. The new ones are $1400. The new ones are being marketed as foundation for a very simple extremely high quality audiophile system. Mostly with the idea of connecting directly to the new 99 CDP.

The new versions are identical to the old in just about every other way. The gain knob is different and the manuals are different. There is no cracking in the finish on the new run. This plagued the older ones. The new ones ship in individual boxes versus the typical dual box that all the other consumer Quads go out in. The included white gloves are ultra cheepos.

Performance wise they are still winners. I am the guy who wrote the review here a few years back. I have since moved and my originals stayed with a buddy-so can't say for sure but I am in love with these as much as the originals. They are the best all around speaker value/amp combo available for under 2k IMO. Will 1.6 maggies and a $1000 amp outclass them on piano works- yes- but in terms of put the disk in and listen to everything from classical to country and rap- these speakers are the ones to beat. I have danced with so many speakers in this price range that I can honestly say that without simply justifying my decision to purchase. I just think that the attributes active design bring to speakers really works well in this price range. I am getting subwoofer caliber bass above 60hz in my new room. They still explode when asked and sound great three rooms away. They also have a ton of audiophile finesse. Combine all these attributes together and you simply have a speaker that is very tough to beat.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.