Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

panels

Laughing pretty hard at your comment on panel owners! It is so darned TRUE! Lets face it, this hobby does attract the obsessive compulsive types. Oh wait, I just described the entire male sex. Nevermind.

Actually panels can be amazingly accurate on the harmonic and timing structure on bass. The trick is to do a mirror-image eq of the panel bass resonance getting the q to inversly match that of the panel. THEN a subwoofer can tie in seemlessly and give great performance. People always blame the sub for being "slow"... unless the sub is a pig it is usually the panel at fault.

That EMT is one mighty looking table!

Yeah, the SP10 was one great table. There is plenty I can do to this table yet; such as outboard regulated power supply and all that. I just don't hear a need for it. Even my friends that own the Uber tables can't fault the thing...which annoys the hell out of them! It didn't hurt that I got a cart that just loves that tone arm. Synergy is all in physical systems I guess.

I hear what you are saying on the music/toe-tapping thing. But, when I go into a high-end shop or show there is all sorts of mental activity for me. I am listening for all the "audiophile" things and often get all wound up in my head. But I can "check in" to see what my body thinks of it all. Case in point, I can listen to a VPI table at my friends shop and be impressed with all the audiophile attributes of the table; seemingly "black" backgrounds between the notes, great imaging and soundstaging and so on. What I DON'T get is any desire to move or dance to the music. The pleasure is all in the head, not in the body. The comment from my other TT owning friends is the same; their tables do the "black" thing a bit better but they notice that mine just boogies more.

It is that engineer thing I guess; I compartmentalize to a greater degree than most normal folk. Or, maybe, I have just been in the hobby too darned long and am well past insane.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • panels - rp1@surfnetusa.com 21:18:19 05/31/07 (2)
    • RE: panels - b.l.zeebub 12:42:30 06/01/07 (1)
      • RE: panels - rp1@surfnetusa.com 20:18:05 06/04/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.