Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Oh my god what have you done now?

I didn't lose so much on Imaging as on Soundstaging. These speakers image just fine, but the panels gave a sense of soundstage that was floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall. That was a nice thing indeed. The pro speakers give an nice width, wider than the speaker placement, and a good height somewhat taller than the boxes. But they just can't quite do that floor-to-ceiling soundstage illusion as well. But the illusion is good enough to be satisfying.

On the plus side are: increased sense of ease and dynamics. A more intimate and natural sounding mid and highs. Cymbals and top-hats and such all are much closer to their dynamic behavior in real life. I am suprised that vocal "presence" is better, like on great SET systems, yet with no irritation at all unless the album is just nasty. Even then the music is just more "fun". When played at realistic levels dynamic range is just...startling.

I THOUGHT the panels had great dynamics, and for panels they do, especially on the QSC amp, but well recorded big band music can make you jump on a sharp rim shot. What truly makes me laugh is that within my hearing range (my hearing cuts off sharply at 9.5khz now) the highs are smoother and more descriptive of the instrument than on my buddy's Wilson Alexandria/Halcro/DCS stack. And my dynamics are better. At one percent of the cost. His box is more inert, but since his house is not, he has the same background noise I have on a loud transient. I would say that unless you are going with a fully built and treated sound room any cabinet talk is a moot point between the speakers.

It is a must to remove the 16ga steel grill; it tends to ring quite a bit. And, being pro speakers, they cut off sharply a 47hz so a good sub is necessary. I have two, so that is no problem. The subs can't keep up with the full dynamic range of the pro speakers, giving out at a mere 110db compared to the pro's 135db, but I think thats adequate.I would say that, once eq'd on the bass, the pro guys come very close harmonically and timing wise to the panels, but dynamically there is no contest...the piano can actually aproach the sense of power of a real piano. I HAVE heard speaker/amp combos that I thought were a bit better, like the big TAD on Pass labs amps. At VASTLY more cost of course.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.