Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

QSC HPR15F.....Long

Ok, now I am sure of it. I have completely lost all pretentions to audiophillia.

This Friday I purchased a pair of the QSC self-powered three-way speakers to try out in my home system. I put them up against the Analysis Omega planar/ribbon speakers. At first, compared to the planars, the the QSC sounded a bit raw and raucous, and a tad boomy, but the dynamics still came through clearly. These things made music exciting again.

Today my buddy and I did some FFT and other measurements and spent some time on the QSC. The slight raucousness was simply the heavy metal grill ringing a bit. We removed the grill, put the speakers up on spikes (Eh,I had them lying around, so why not). We then adjusted the eq on the music server to adjust for the room/speaker behavior (no more than 1db adjustment difference from the planars worst case). There was still a bit of an overhang problem down at the bottom, but stuffing one of the ports in each box solved that one handily. (Another room issue that seems consistent with any ported speaker in here. Fear not, the port was stuffed with Audiophile Grade old towels.) Of course, stuffing one port reduces acoustic power handling down from 135db to a mere 128db or so. Oh, the humanity.

Well, these things are simply amazing. Tremendous dynamics, far beyond my experience of audiophile speakers, excepting some horribly expensive horn systems. Being a pro speaker I expected dynamics but, as in the earlier post on the 1804 amp, I was shocked by the subtlety and coherence exhibited by the self-powered speakers. Music hangs together,yet boogies like crazy. Rock stuff just..uh..Rocks! Jazz vocalists have amazing intimacy yet sound natural in pitch and tone. Piano music is so interesting when you can hear more of the dynamics.

Frankly, the QSC does most everything that the panels excell at , except the huge image thing, better than the panels do. And the dynamics, both massive and subtle, are simply undoable by any planar speaker.

The long and short of it is that these things sound more like live music, both accoustic and electronic, than anything I have heard in a very very long time. $1800 got me more bang for my buck than any previous expenditure (except maybe for the Technics TT).

What an improvement; all I need is some xlr fromt he preamp to the speakers...no freaking speaker cables all over the floor, no stack of amps...just really really good sound.

QSC is one amazing company!!! I never thunk it, science and engineering in the pursuit of good sound at a reasonable cost.

Damn, the planar speakers were the last piece of audiophile stuff in my system...everything is now pro gear. Oh wait, the phono pre is Pass labs...so one thing is still to be replaced.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - QSC HPR15F.....Long - rp1@surfnetusa.com 22:59:20 05/19/07 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.