Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Remote control of rack room equip

Wow..guys, today opened my eyes to a whole new problem with our large install in the main sanctuary at the Church
I'll explain.
When we did our last re-fit/relocation/optimization of the system, i suggested a "allways on" policy for the system,.due to its size ,and the fact that its mostly volunteer sound people that use the system.
As with other installs i believed allways on would elliminate dangerous turn on off thumps and other dammage.
We don't do this stuff any favors by shutting it on/off all the time.
THis policy to the large extent has be great, as all we do is pull the house main faders down at night on the board, and its been working well.
Now today,. we had a power flicker,. hard to explain,.but it was enough to send our main house RTA/computer equalizer into a fit.
after not getting any response on the front pannel,.as it was showing programming mode....(yeach)...i pulled the power plug,. and just like your home computer,. waited 10 sec,. plugged it back in, ..got the good morning sign in the display.. and bingo !! the whole memorized program came back...YAY!
IT was just one of those things where i by coincidence had the amps at the speaker end shut off because i was vacuming the rack at the time of the blip.
im not sure what would have come through the speakers if they had been on as the RTA sits between the board and the amp rack.
To make this post shorter,. we are in the process of planning a rack room (which we need) to put the amps ,crossovers, rta unit, etc,. for all 3 sound systems,. away out of the general traffic.
Is there some type of protection or remote power relay (like a pc ups) that will shut down and power up the the systems in sequence should one of these blips happen again.??
I don 't want to start shutting down the systems after services again,.especially if some of it is locked away .

Sorry for the long read guys,. but appreciate your input
ROb

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Remote control of rack room equip - cornerklipsch 13:41:52 03/26/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.