Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Juli@ Digital output goes through an isolating transformer!

Removing the Juli@ analog card and just using the digital when you are feeding an external DAC is a common setup. It is a good idea for you whether it fixes your issue or not.

Some go so far as to use the power connections on the digital card as a place to add local filtering/smoothing capacitors as shown below:

I have gone even farther and have replaced the Juli@ analog section with I2S-connected DAC cards... it has worked well for me, but it takes a bit of doing to get it going and more knowledge and experience than I have to get it going really, really good.

See attached pix.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Unless you've removed a lot of the extraneous processes in your computer, I suspect that the occasional distortion is caused by some non-playback-related process that starts up by itself stealing sufficient resources to interrupt the music flow. Just a guess, tho.

My 1st heavy Juli@ mod where I upgraded the regulators on the analog card and powered it with separate linear supplies (notice the wire pigtails). It sounded much better than it had any right to! Someday I want to go back to that setup & bypass the mixer stages & the Juli@ analog output opamps:

A Twisted Pear Buffalo 32 I did for another inmate here awhile back:

An ES9022-based card I got from a guy on DIYAudio.com:

The Twisted Pear Buffalo II I'm working on (slowly) now for myself:

Everything matters!

Edits: 09/05/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Juli@ Digital output goes through an isolating transformer! - GStew 22:03:58 09/05/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.