Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How can USB performance impact audio quality?

"You didn't get the distinction I made between jitter coupled from the input signal and jitter in the local oscillator."

I do understand. I've been doing this for more than 30 years. It is possible to have jitter in the input USB signal coupled by power supply modulation in a shared supply, or by RF coupling or by ground bounce coupling. All indirect effects.

"While I have no doubt that poorly designed or implemented isolation stages may fail to isolate jitter, they certainly do not add jitter in a proper clock architecture.

I would agree, with the caveat that the isolation take place prior to the master clock domain.

"When measuring jitter, it's the jitter spectrum that matters not the total jitter energy. Specifically it's the jitter spectrum in and near the audible band that is going to produce sidebands that will be perceived as audible distortion."

I know this also. I have written a few white-papers on the web that echo this, most about 4-5 years ago. They are still on positive-feedback.com.

Steve N.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How can USB performance impact audio quality? - audioengr 10:33:11 06/14/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.