Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

in my setup amd too my ears, Linux Mint sounded 'darker', 'browner'.

Hi Dave,

I can make use of 3 digital audio interfaces / soundcards in my cMP setup: ESI Juli@, RME 9632, Lynx AES16.
Although being able too chose from 3 cards, I still wasn’t able too do a direct comparison because:
ESI Juli@ runs on: Windows, Linux Mint, but not on OS-X SL Sojugarden Hackintosh
RME runs on: Windows, OS-X SL Sojugarden Hackintosh, but not (out of the box) on Linux Mint
Lynx AES16: Windows, OS-X SL Sojugarden Hackintosh ,but not on Linux Mint.

So it was a little difficult too compare Linux with Windows / OS-X SL because I had too swap a card too do that, but ‘sound wise’ there is very little difference between these cards.
(Almost sure there now will be a follow-up post from fmak with a lot off bla-di-bla, but please ignore)

I did not do any fine tuning too the Linux Mint install, as I don’t know what and how.
I just used Linux Mint ‘as is’ (as it is after installation) with the ESI Juli@ (digital part only).

Too my ears Linux Mint has the same transparency, detail and ambiance as Windows or OS-X but still it sounds much (!) different too my ears.
With good software players and both properly fine tuned, Windows and OSX-X SL sound the same too me.
But, in my setup, I find the sound coming from Linux Mint rather ‘dark ‘ and ‘brown’.
Best described as: with Windows and OS-X SL one is looking through clear glass window, and with Linux Mint one is looking through a sun-coated glass window. So: same transparency, detail and ambiance but different. Too my ears with some sort of 'color' added. Not being my taste.

But keep in mind: I didn't compare Linux very thoroughly with Windows and OS-X SL on my steup. Just one evening.

Mark

Edits: 01/10/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • in my setup amd too my ears, Linux Mint sounded 'darker', 'browner'. - hfavandepas 11:41:36 01/10/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.