Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks

Howdy

I agree, even tho I have aftermarket power cords on almost all of my equipment and silver interconnects and speaker wire :)

For interconnects the two obvious (to me) technical things are differential connections and connections which are (accurately) terminated at the receiving end. Both make technically sound differences and are available on some equipment.

But truthfully I get more of a difference with swapping power cords and/or power conditioning. But I'm not about to hack my amps to get rid of their sensitivity to power cords :) Someday I might build my own amps or power conditioners, but I doubt it. I do find a sweet spot with medium cost cords and conversely have experienced some real stinkers: both cheap and expensive.

The most surprising thing like this that I ever heard was a quality DAC and cheaper transport connected with ST glass hooked up with the DAC being the clock master and separate clock and data connections coming back from the transport (A Meitner DAC but not a Meitner transport). Even with the transport and DAC on separate dedicated AC feeds and the galvanic isolation of the interconnects, a change of power cords on the transport caused a very noticeable difference in the perceived loudness of the bass :) What the...?

In my current DAC I have no components which were selected by ear: all decisions were based purely on my preconceived notions of the desired specs and the parts meeting them :) I'm not adverse to selecting components by ear (assuming they meet the technical specs), I just don't have the time or inclination: I'd rather spend my time making bigger differences with technically sound modifications.

I do get a lot of satisfaction of having done something real and even tho it didn't change my view on most audio matters I feel I can speak with a little more experience/authority on the subject.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks - Ted Smith 19:41:51 01/09/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.