Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks

Howdy

Thanks.

It would be nice if some of the "standard" audio interfaces were replaced with sane/well-engineered interfaces. But downward (or backward) compatibility also has many benefits - it's another of those compromises.

I originally didn't have any PCM interfaces on my DAC but one day I woke up and realized that I had plenty of extra pins on the FPGA so I "graphed" on DSD ST glass, TOSLink, S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs. Then dealing with these signals was a software problem and I can deal with those :)

Even if I were designing a DAC from scratch and intending to market it I'd probably still meet essentially the same interfaces: for a while it'll still be more useful to most people to have TOSLink, S/PDIF, AES/EBU, USB Audio 1.0 and other "legacy" interfaces than a random custom "perfect" interface. If I can get my jitter susceptibility to near that of which a "perfect" interface could provide, so much the better.

I also suspect that even if I were to decide to allow myself to use some custom software on the PC and a custom "perfect" hardware interface I'd still have essentially the same results by using some software to carefully downsample any 24/196 to 24/96 (or 176.4 to 88.2) and use a standard hardware interface and apply my creative energy elsewhere. Beyond a certain point, if time or money matter, there are more important things that absolute sample rates. (I know that marketing concerns would tend to a different direction.)

One thing I do know for certain is that every time I listen to music it's so relaxing and involving that I don't get much work done :)

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks - Ted Smith 16:06:33 01/09/11 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.