Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE:What Chance?

PC/MAC audio was touted one or two years ago as being 'far superior' to boxes. A large no of inmates just listened to Red Book and made various assertions. Some of them did not have high quality boxes. Others preferred 'quirky' dacs and replay systems. Many use Toshlink.

Then came the PC 'optimisation' game, claiming certain $1500 setups beat $80000 high end boxes. On the last count there were 1500 users (?) in Europe. The MAC boys maintained that they didn't need to 'optimise' but needed 8 GB RAM, SSDs and $1000 usb cables and so on for best sonics.

Now, we have the MAC setup revision suites and inmates are paying for them and opting for constant updates/upgrades.

What is best? Who can say?, other than being satisfied with a system that suits. True, high end boxes are getting far too expensive, but a slimmed down computer system is just tryig to emulate dedicated boxes from 'the other end'.

My appraoch is to have both computer and high end boxes in a competitive but mutually non exclusive situation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE:What Chance? - fmak 22:46:07 01/08/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.