Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I installed a hackintosh for comparison reasons

Hi AstroD,

In my cMP setup I can boot into WIN-XP, WIN7, OS-X SL (a Sojugarden Hackintosh) and Linux (for easy installation I used Mint).

Last spring I created this setup, too experience/hear myself the sound quality differences between these 3 operation systems. The nice thing in this comparison is: that the hardware used, is exactly the same for each OS.

I especially intensively compared the sound quality of WIN-XP, WIN7 and OS-X SL because I needed a new notebook. With sound quality in mind I wanted too know if I should buy a MAC or a Windows Notebook.

I wrote about that comparison in this post:
http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=pcaudio&n=81010

From the cMP-project I already had heard myself, that software (drivers, programs, ect, ect) have an impact on sound quality. But this is not so new. Computers are already widely used in recording studio’s for 10 – 15 years now, and nobody in that profession denies that the software being used will have there own impact on sound quality. For instance: think of Steinberg. Already in 1999 they developed the ASIO protocol to get better sound quality from windows.

I find it hard too speculate on why various software sound so different. Sometimes it’s easy too understand: the number-crushing is not done right or differently. But mostly it’s a black-box too me. Although it can be fun too discus about it.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.