Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Baloney

Howdy

The world isn't perfect, everything is a compromise. Even a component's power cord. Every manufacturer has to pick a compromise they can live with.

You can't get rid of jitter, you can only filter it. There are some methods of dealing with data which are more jitter prone than others, but even with the best (read "really expensive and well designed") methods jitter is still an issue, but hopefully less of an issue than the other (unavoidable) faults in a DAC (or any piece of equipment.)

Things are better now, I remember when most hardware designers/engineers didn't understand that you couldn't avoid metastability issues when more than one clock was involved. Once people understood the problem they realized that they just had to make a decision about the cost comprises (both in engineering and in the resultant product) of narrowing the metastability window. Unlike, say a decade ago, I think most audiophile DAC designers understand that jitter is an issue and there are a lot of creative approaches to lessening it's effects and corresponding trade offs.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.