Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Because it's not always about Jitter

Well, it comes down to what one means by "process" and "signal" what tools one uses and what information one has access to.

If one works in the mathematical domain of bits then one can definitely model the transforms used by some audio software. It is rather trivial when it comes to software of the "bit perfect" variety, i.e. one compares a string of integers for identity. If one works on the analog waveforms output by the PC on the cable to the DAC, one can also model things in detail if one has complete models of the components used and "unlimited" computer time to run SPICE simulations. The problem only arises when one uses proprietary commercial off the shelf hardware and software. That's the fools errand, I should think.

Of course, models are only models and to the extent that they are simplified sufficiently to be practical they won't be accurate. The modeling problems for computer audio are not nearly as intractable as modeling global climate change, but then the budgets are hardly comparable either. :-)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.