Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks. [nt]-I did it too, but

Howdy

I do like SACDs a lot, they just sound more real to me. I don't really detect any difference in the sense of balance (if I understand what you mean by balance :) But my opinion has changed quite a lot over the years as my system has gotten better. PCM no longer sucks :)

Also I really like the fact that "all" you have to do to build a DSD dac is to filter the DSD stream: no need for DAC chips, steep filters, word clocks, etc. In the abstract just a stream of bits into a simple analog filter and presto: great sound.

I'd spent a lot of time running C++ simulations of DSD years back and then again more recently in Spice and I agree that finding good reconstruction filters (especially when they are all passive analog) isn't easy. Here's a simulation run from about a year ago:

I looked at regulators similar to ALW's but since I was using all surface mount and needed a lot of current for the analog and FPGA I chose to implement each PS custom to its needs. Also I wanted to filter the crap out of the controlled voltage over a very wide frequency range (e.g. to above 50MegHz for the analog and clock supplies) and still have low output impedances where it counts:

Truth be told, when I thought I had a analog PS problem and was running the analog outputs from a dual bench supply the board still sounded pretty good. Having gobs of low impedance bypass at my DSD switching rate did most of the work :)

-Ted

Edits: 10/25/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.