Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

squeezbox, waveterminal, offramp,and the winner is.....

hi everybody, in my long quest to get a decent pc audio based system , i would like to give my experience during this past month (sorry for my english, i'm just a french man...)

my system is very simple , one pair of monitor active speaker (cello serafin 15000$ not usual pc active speaker :) ) driving in direct a dac/preamp audio aero prima 24/192MKII
i v got a MARK levinson 37 for cd transport reference

First i have tried 'cheaper' solution
maudio 24/96audiophile , waveterminal u24 and squeezbox model1
i have found that the best sounding (to my dac) was the wave terminal u24 equals with the squeezbox wired version ( but i have found the slimserver awfull ..)
the maudio 24/96 card was very poor sounding..

anyway, none of this 3 solutions sounds better than the levinson drive (i use foobar, asio plugin, eac ripping etc...)

so i decide to try another way and buy a "real" USB dac the BRICK from wavelentgh audio with a mac mini the result was really good, very natural sounding , no harshness and a good definition..

but ... in my system with long rca cable and a passive preamp (bent audio NOH Transformer passive preamp) the small output voltage of the brick ( less than 1V) give me some problems of lack of dynamics and bass
but i think that in a normal sensivity system the brick is a keeper and gordon rankin from wavelength audio is a nice guy to threath with..

after few weeks of "audiogon business" for "re"selling all this stuff and get back some money, and the story goes , i have read some good feedbach about empirical audio and his works in mods of pc audio..

after some mails (steeve from empirical is also a nice person to talk with), spending some $, a new black box comes to me
the OFF-Ramp Turbo from empirical audio
and.............................................

(before, i want to tell that i live in France and haven't nothing to do with any of these companies or guys , i don't even know what they look like)
now i can say that a pc based source is better than cd drive source..
in many ways, definitions, peacefull sounding, finest treeble and incredible deep and tight
bass, resume its the better sound i have never heard with my audio aero
( my off ramp goes on battery)

my conclusion is ..

if you believe you have a good dac don't be afraid to try this magic box from Empirical Audio (990$) and use it with a batterry pack if you can.

if you have no dac give a try to the wavelength audio "BRICK" (1750$) i cant give an opinion with the ones i haven't heard ( perreaux usb dac, scott nixon usb dac, twind dac plus, etc..)

a last advice don't buy an expensive cd drive any more......

good listening....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - squeezbox, waveterminal, offramp,and the winner is..... - juanitox 03:14:09 11/12/05 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.