Computer Audio Asylum

RE: Power supply design for low power PC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Here is a power supply design for the low power PCs

OK, better late than never. It's been several weeks now since I finally got round to finishing a 9-volt version of the above design to drive a Fit-PC2 running cMP^2.

Even though it replaced a conventional linear supply rather than an SMPS 'brick', results have been very fine with improvements that are clearly audible - if not 'night and day' then not far off and certainly 'early dusk and late dawn'.

In passing, there seem to be a couple of minor typos in the drawing - the value for the Lower Arm Resistor is too low (calculate as per datasheet) and, at least in my case, wiring the transformer secondaries in series as shown made for a pretty high voltage at the regulator's i/p. Parallel OTOH was fine.

Whatever, it's a super circuit and I'd like to take this opportunity of saying thanks to John for making the design generally available.

John: Re-reading your notes, it's apparent that using it to provide one to 1.5 amps at 12 volts (for a DDDAC) would probably take the design to its limits. Is it feasible to modify it to do this without intruding (well, not too much) on your time?

Dave

Follow Ups: