Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let me get this out of my system...

"I find the Straw Man argument irritating because it reflects intellectual sloppiness at best. Gordon Rankin's claim that there are audible differences between various file formats (despite identical content) has nothing to do with the fact that a good recording is perceived differently according to circumstance."

-- I never meant for it to be any kind of argument, or analogous to Gordon's file formats. It was only meant to illustrate how we can hear what we expect to hear, what we wish to hear, even when something very different is what is there.

"Simple, linear notions of what is going on when we listen to music do not (as here you correctly imply) work. Do not presume they be can used when it suits you in an argument (more correctly the argument as it's pretty well the only one you make) but discarded when they don't suit you."

-- Sorry if my point seems repetitive to you. If it's any consolation, I let pass the opportunity to make it many more times than I actually bother to respond.

"Besides, regardless of what you think of Gordon Rankin's claim and noting in passing that he has done something you have not (designed well-regarded audio kit), I do not see what gives you the right to dismiss his points as "Voodoo Science"."

-- You're right. The voodoo remark was harsh and unnecessary. Besides, it's not science, voodoo or otherwise. It is pure speculation and personal observation. Gordon hears it. Fine. It's when he pretends that its audibility is well-established and implies that those who do not hear it have inadequate systems that he steps way out of line. That's not voodoo, it's nonsense. These personal, undocumented, unsupported "hearings" are the opposite of well-documented, regardless of what products he has brought to market.

By the way, not that my career has any bearing on this conversation, but I have never conducted a double blind study or any other kind of research study. I always commissioned qualified professional research firms to do them.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.