Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Guys Look!!!!!!

Phelonious, I agree with you.

It has not been "well decided". It happens to some listeners with some equipment. There are three schools of thought on this matter:

1. Those who hear differences do so by superior equipment and hearing acuity.
2. Those who hear differences are subject to quirks and defects in their equipment and setup.
3. Those who hear differences are victims of subtle psychological effects.

There is no evidence as to which group of people is correct. Pragmatically, if you hear a difference then go with whatever you prefer. (I've not heard anyone report that lossless compression sounds better, but it's conceivable that could be the case with some gear.) If there were scientific instruments and measurement procedures that resolve this dispute, then I expect that within a year or so we would see products that were suitably immune to transport issues.

With my software (cPlay) the FLAC decoding takes place in bursts, generally at the time a track starts up before the music begins. I do not hear any differences with this setup. When I run audio editing and restoration programs (Soundforge Pro 10 and Izotope RX) I use WAV files.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.