Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Musiland Monitor 01 USD - My Unit

I looked again at the digital output of the externally powered Musiland 01 usd thru a 75 R BNC connector which replaced the phono socket on the device. There was no sign of the issues you displayed. The signal is very clean, has the classic spdif shape with low time axis spread, and a little ground bounce with the first cycle at about 110 MHz, decaying to about 80 MHz in the 2nd cycle. Te transition edge was clean and the only issue is a degree of noise on the top hat which was cleaned up when I applied a 20 MHz filter. The 50R bnc output that comes as standard was not much different overall, but does sound slightly 'mellower'

Maybe further bypassing of the internal regulators can improve things but this is another story. I don't mess with battery supplies 'cause they are long term nuisances (from experience).

The 'slow' pulse transformer did not appear to be an issue at 176.4k which was what I fed into the device. The waveshape was as good as any other PC device I have seen and is nearly on par with the HiFace. However, the pk-pk volatge was indeed lower than standard.

The set up was:

Vaio usb - 10 cm shielded usb cable with Vbus cut and power injected from 5V alw regulator with 7 uV noise re 1MHz bandwidth - 3 m bnc silversonic 75R cable - 75R termination - Tetronix 2465B scope. The same trace shape was there with a different PC and a 1.5m Illuminati XV2 cable.

The one serious issue I have, is that, having updated the firmware and updated the driver to 1.0.7.0, subsequent reinstall of any software at 1.0.5.0 or above fails as device is then not recognised. The Musiland website is so 'secretive' that I cannot register onto the forum to post the issue. They really need to sort this out if they want world sales growth.

If anyone has resolved the issue, please post. For myself, I have tried the usual tricks and I think it is soemthing that is written onto, or missing from the registry. I do use a reg cleaner and may be this has taken its toll. The reg key from Musiland after re-registration cannot be added just by clicking on it as all I get is 'device not found'.

There is also the issue of transfer among PCs where nothing higher than 1.0.3.2 works, and the posted install instructions do now work either..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Musiland Monitor 01 USD - My Unit - fmak 23:41:17 12/18/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.