Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I think many people here don't realise how good computer audio has become even with basic components

I remember that not too long ago:
- motherboard audio sounded awful
- it was almost impossible to get bit perfect audio output on a vanilla setup
- PCs were noisy

No surprise that a lot of people have gone to extreme lengths to overcome the above problems (including myself).

Nowadays:
- you can get motherboard audio chipsets that actually sound decent, and comparable to high end DACs (my subjective impression, and verified by Audio Rightmark measurements)
- Vista and MacOS both provide a relatively clean audio path even on WMP and iTunes (Linux as well)
- You can get completely noiseless PCs off the shelf (Dell Mini 9 is a recent example)

Given that, I think it's perfectly possible to get very decent audio with very little fiddling. Of course, it is possible to get incremental improvements by optimization and careful selection of components, but it is also possible to damage the audio experience.

Some of the most prolific posters in this forum are, in my opinion, those that understand the least about computer audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.