Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: picoPSU is not linear

I don't think this is the way to go. There's been some discussion on this list on how the PCI-E buss is less suited for small-packet low-latency transmission of data to the sound card, something that appears to be important to good sound. While you'd get some benefit from a separate PS, you'd have the theoretically less-ideal PCI-E PLUS the PCI-to-PCI-E bridge inside of that adapter.

Honestly, there is some risk in setting up a separate power supply for the PCI card... to that end, I just picked up a 2nd Juli@ on Ebay just in case I fry mine (more on why I feel that way in a separate post that I may or may not get to tonight).

The easiest and lowest-risk (In my opinion, but everyone might not share that opinion) way to improve the power to your sound card is to first improve the power to the entire computer via a separate hybrid PSU like the one I did or at least adding caps to the supply lines of your SMPS. Next, consider finding the rails on the card and adding good quality local reservoir caps on the card. I'd suggest these steps first... then spending some time learning how to separately power your sound card before tackling that (and I have to admit I couldn't give you the details on how to do that yet... I'm approaching it cautiously too!).

Let us know what you decide and how you make out and I'll do the same as I continue to poke around inside my cMP.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. For John's supply, see here:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.