Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: integrated amp...

Hard to say for sure. The advantage of an integrated is that you get rid of a pair of interconnects and two pairs of connectors. It's also less expensive, as you only need one chassis and one transformer.

On the other hand, it tends to be somewhat self-limiting. Our top-line monoblocks and preamp are $36,000 US retail. I suppose that we could make an integrated version for maybe $30,000 or os. I don't know that there would be a big market for $30,000 integrateds.

The other problem with integrateds is where to put them. Ideally the power amp is between the speakers to keep the speaker cables short. You could put an integrated there, but then it would have to be on a rack to be usable. And putting a rack between your speakers lessens the quality of the soundstage. So a lot of factors come into play.

The bottom line is that an integrated probably gives the best sound for the money and reduces the number of boxes. But if you want an all-out, no compromise system you probably need a separate preamp and a pair of monoblocks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: integrated amp... - Charles Hansen 18:33:41 02/05/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.