Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let the grenade throwing begin...

It's hard to please everybody.

If we added a volume control to the DAC, it would increase the price significantly. Then many people wouldn't buy it because the price was too high.

When you own active speakers, I think you have to realize that a preamp is pretty much going to have to be part of the deal. I guess you could get a Wadia or some other CD player with adjustable outputs. There just aren't that many sources with volume controls.

One of the problems is that a good sounding volume control ain't cheap. In the old days people just used potentiometers with carbon tracks. They sound OK, but not great. Nowadays people want balanced (which requires tracking within better than 1% between the phases), remote operation (which adds cost or places constraints or both), and good sound quality (perhaps the most difficult task).

The volume control in our $3,000 preamp is pretty darned good -- about as good as our competitor's $15,000 preamp. But the one in our $9,000 preamp is even better. And the one in our $18,000 preamp is better than that. The point is that a good volume control ain't cheap....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.