Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Well, it depends - the simple answer is "yes, a lite OS by itself should not affect sound quality"

it's not as simple as "less services/threads = better sound quality", unless of course we are talking about the signal path itself, in which case i do believe that the simpler the signal path, the less chance for problems.

what can happen though is that background activities may impact generated EMI and logic induced modulation (LIM) affecting sound quality.

but simply turning on and off services does not necessarily reduce EMI or LIM - it changes the noise profile. A better solution to smoothen the noise profile is to enable spread spectrum (if the BIOS supports it) on the PCI and memory busses. A better solution to lower the generated noise is to use lower powered components and slower bus speed. Don't run a quad core 3GHz CPU - a 500MHz low powered CPU can do just as good a job for audio and will consume a lot less power and generate a lot less noise. Which translates to less EMI and less LIM.

So in short, I believe in a "lite" PC, but not necessarily a "lite" OS. Even on a full OS, most of the services should be dormant anyway and should not impact music playback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.