Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks, Tom, good advice

I have kept my dedicated music PC pretty lean. I like to stream internet radio hence I'm a bit reluctant to disable the anti-virus, albeit the risk is probably small if I restrict Internet use in general.

In Task Manager I set Foobar to 'Above Normal' priority. This made no difference in sound quality I could detect though it might have reduced dropouts ("glitches") a bit. What really got ride of the dropouts, as I mentioned, was specifying as generous input buffer in Foobar, on the other hand I keep the output buffer small when using ASIO.

I can't really judge the jitter tolerance of my DAC. My older Assemblage DAC has no special jitter provisions that I'm aware of. The only comparison I've had is to my CD player which is entry-level Sony; the Assembage is slightly better, being a tad airier and perhaps very slightly better resolved.

As I mentioned also, using ASIO apparently sends the DAC a better bit stream than does Direct Sound since with the former the DAC recognizes an HDCD signal. However I guess this doesn't say anything about jitter.

Fortunately I'm not obsessive about tiny differences. If differences such as there might be aren't pretty apparent to me, I don't go looking for them.
___
Feanor's Classical Survey: 250 Exemplary Compositions

Edits: 10/21/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.