Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Do you really expect serious responces to questions like that?

It's clear that the fundamental knowledgebase of electronics, built on for many years and which provides the foundation of the hobby, is of no interest to some people, and is discredited by other people. Those who offer their expertise are dismissed as over-analytical objectivists.

So the dominant modality becomes: "my opinion is as valuable and credible as fact-based knowledge"; "measurements are useless - - no one hears measurements"...and so on.

Intelligent people, who in their everyday lives accept the role of science and engineering, make intense arguments against the relevance of knowing electronics in their pursuit of the audio hobby. They cannot accept the idea that this knowledge is empowering and will assist in making informed choices among the critical components (like speakers). Rather, the ear is to be the trusted informant.

These are the same people who rely on science and engineering every day. The people who don't think twice about riding an elevator, driving across a bridge, working in a hazardous occupation, seeking medical help, etc. These are the same people who take a medication whose availability is completely tied to its safety and efficacy (through double-blind tests, trials, peer-reviewed studies, etc.), but believe that DBT has no relevance to audio.

So, it's possible to step out of superstitions and folk wisdom of the audio medieval times that many hobbyists want to live in... and step into the 21st. century. For starters, the next time your dealer tells you to buy the $250 interconnects because they're "better" than the $50 pair, ask him to prove it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.