Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Lossless Compression vs. .WAV audio quality ?

If used for storage only, lossless is perfectly fine, as long as it's converted back to WAV prior to playback.

The decoding of lossless files played back in real time to me seems to introduce a signal-correlated jitter component into the audio signal, and it seems consistent in character from device to device. I get a real headache listening to it. The music sounds broken. With most lossless, the artifact seems to "smooth out" vibrato, inflections, and even tape flutter. (If there was an ABX software suite that could utilize lossless formats, I'd run a listening evaluation to either validate or refute what I think I'm hearing.)

The only lossless that I find tolerable in real time playback is OptimFROG, followed by Monkey's Audio. I cannot stand FLAC or Apple Lossless.

My favorite form of WAV playback is broadcast wave format (BWF)..... Awave Audio suite provides a conversion to this format, and I now use it almost exclusively.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.