Gang, As posted on Computer Audiophile yesterday.
I have been toying with getting a new computer for use at shows and stuff. I was thinking it would be cool to get a Mac Air but the preformance had me a little leary.
So make my own but better....
I scored a new MacBook 2.4GHZ/2BG off ebay for $1100. I then got 4gb of memory for $100 and then I scored a Samsung SSD 64GB SATA2 drive for $600. Believe me the Samsung is worth it! It's fastest damn drive I have ever used.
Ok step one make sure the original works. Boot up check stuff ok...
1) unplug, remove battery, remove L bracket to expose the memory and drive.
2) pop out the old memory plug in the new.
3) pop out the old drive, take off the protective sleeve put it on the new drive and pop the drive in. I could have done this in 15 minutes but did not have the correct star driver to take off the protective sleve.
4) battery and power supply connected power up. Hold C down put in the install DVD.
5) format drive, partition for boot.
6) install the OS and software.
Just to give you idea of the speed here... typical raw install takes about 1:50. It was done in less than 35 minutes.
I will report back but really at $1800 or the Price on standard sata drive 1.6GHZ Mac Air. This thing will run circles around it. Albeit not as cute!
The damn system runs circles around everything else I have. The current draw on this drive is so much less that the laptop runs cooler drawing less power and therefore less noise.
Battery usage is easily 50%... I went on 4 hours yesterday downloading stuff with the display on full and battery was at 63%.
This is really cool...
J. Gordon Rankin
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Gordon Rankin 07:57:07 05/16/08 (25)
- 120G 2.5" SATA SS drives $669 @ newegg.com - 4season 15:50:31 05/21/08 (0)
- Further Thoughts - Gordon Rankin 07:52:15 05/19/08 (1)
- RE: Further Thoughts - endust4237 14:40:35 05/20/08 (0)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - David Clark 17:05:06 05/16/08 (0)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Mercman 16:09:51 05/16/08 (1)
- HD harder to replace on Macbook Pro than Macbook - Bob Stern 01:41:57 05/19/08 (0)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Budrew 13:50:00 05/16/08 (0)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Dynaudio_Rules 11:44:32 05/16/08 (15)
- Sounds KILLER - Gordon Rankin 13:45:01 05/16/08 (14)
- First off this thing on Lossless files sounds as good as others in AIFF. - Quiet Earth 06:12:30 05/20/08 (0)
- RE: Sounds KILLER - Dynaudio_Rules 14:13:50 05/16/08 (12)
- RE: Sounds KILLER - Quiet Earth 06:15:23 05/20/08 (8)
- RE: Sounds KILLER - Dynaudio_Rules 10:03:01 05/20/08 (7)
- RE: Sounds KILLER - Quiet Earth 10:28:18 05/20/08 (6)
- What about simply doing a file copy? - Tony Lauck 12:54:01 05/20/08 (5)
- RE: What about simply doing a file copy? - Quiet Earth 13:17:11 05/20/08 (4)
- RE: Sounds KILLER - Dynaudio_Rules 10:40:10 05/19/08 (2)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - sammie 09:56:12 05/16/08 (0)
- RE: 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Mercman 09:41:01 05/16/08 (0)