Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: One More Option

The current base model with i5 processor will be just fine. That entry level processor is much better than any of the older Core 2 Duo CPU's in the older Minis. And 8GB will be the sweet spot for memory. You can rip your CDs to the internal 500GB disk and keep it simple, or you can even attach an external USB drive and rip your CDs to it. You just tell iTunes where to place your rips. How many CDs will you rip?

The base Mac Mini as it is with one HDD can later be upgraded to one SSD. Or, with a special kit from OWC MacSales, you can install two disks in the Mini. I did that with my 2012 Mini. They provided a flex cable and mounting bracket so it will accommodate two disks.

Note that you can often find the Mac Mini for less than LIST price through some retailers like BestBuy, Amazon, or PC stores like Micro Center. The only issue might be finding one outfitted with exactly the options you want. It seems that most retailers carry the basic "off the shelf" models. A quick search on Amazon for "Mac Mini 8GB" turned up the 2.6GHz i5 with 8GB and 1TB Fusion Drive for $679. The entry 1.4GHz i5 with 4GB and 500GB drive is $449. If you can 'stretch' the budget the $679 unit would be really sweet.

Also, some large companies have employee discount agreements worked out with Apple. Students, teachers, and employees of some school districts can also get discounts. Have any kids in school? Neighbor kid? ;-)

Looks like MacSales is working on a 2-disk kit for the current Mac Mini. You may want to contact them and ask for status.

Edits: 02/18/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.