Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Do you have any DAC suggestion that sounds like vinyl? :)

Recently, my wife and I went to listen to some speakers at a dealer. We played some of our CDs and the sound was pretty good (except one CD sounded horrible). Then we switched the setup to play from a turntable. WOW! What a difference! It was like as if the sound was creating air that we could feel. The dimension changed. The tone changed. It was like night and day. Although I had heard turntable before I have never had a chance to compare it in the same listening session.

Now, my wife says we have to get a turntable:) which I do not want to because I cannot keep up buying LPs, caring for them, storing them,etc. I have Tidal Hifi. Squeezebox Touch and Chord Mojo DAC with a Class D amp.

I am in search of finding a DAC that can sounds like *that* sound at the dealer with turntable. My wife says to get that sound, I need to get a turntable :) I also have to mention, the turntable was high-end. Not some budget turntable.

I also tried HQPlayer with Roon (both trial version) and did DSD upsampling (my laptop cannot handle more than DSD128). My wife and I could not hear noticable difference except little more detailed sound in DSD but DSD made highs worse we thought. So, DSD did not wow us (maybe even a disappointment) like it did with the sound of a turntable.

So, the classic question goes, do you have any DAC suggestion that sounds like vinyl? :) Budget $1000 used.

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Do you have any DAC suggestion that sounds like vinyl? :) - KOCA 23:16:48 02/13/17 (67)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.