Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Joy of Audio can happen at MP3... But unfortunately..

the engineers and producers - from the CD era to now regularly refuse to take advantage of the dynamic range capability of the recording format. Even with the highest bit rates and depth, when you take away 10-20dB of the dynamic range of "live" music as the produced outcome, our minds have to work hard to "imagine" the live event. Now when you perform the psychoacoustic DSP compression on this "flat" recording, it is easy to dismiss the quality of the event.

Take a well produced recording and stream it at 320k (on Spotify) and you get - even on my modest system - great imaging, realistic timbre rendering and a good listening experience. Sure, if I switch over to same recording on CD, SACD, or DVD-A (yes I have a few of those) you can notice a difference.

I do find a lot of audiophiles and audio enthusiast will dismiss the signal as "un-listenable" and in that singular intellectual act they make a self-fulfilling prophesy - losing confidence in the playback and destroying their ability to re-imaging the performance.

Similar condition happens in some blind testing - Anxiety effects the brain's ability to imagine!

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.