Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Shoutout to Abe

First, I post rarely, and usually with a question. Out of ten of my ??'s, Abe C. has answered (probably) at least 7 of them, and always lucidly and graciously. You seem intuitive re: my (and others) lack of digital sophistication, and I thank you for making it simpler for me.

I still am on the bottom of a steep learning curve. So, subscribing to Roon allows me to load the core onto my Mac mini, which I can then control with my iPad (Roon app). Does Roon grab the music in my music library residing on an external HD? Or do I have to invest and learn how to transfer/use a NAS? If I get a NAS and manage to load my music library on it, does it feed by ethernet to my Apple airport router? And if so, do I need to keep the Mac mini in the system (either ethernet or wirelessly) to the Airport? I guess even after reading their website, I can't figure out where Roon resides in a Nas-Mac system. And this whole core/client business....whew!

TriodeSteve mentioned the SonicTransporter. Another 'black box' to me. It seems that music servers like that mentioned (and AA DMP-1, PS Audio LANRover, microurendu, Surender N10 & N100, Sotm sms-200, Wyred MS-1, and a dozen more, plus Raspberry Pi, whatever that is) remove the Mac mini from the system, but for some reason need a NAS for storage. Is that because Roon has to reside in the NAS?

From these questions, you would not believe I am a college graduate with graduate degrees, and a Mac user for 20 years. Probably my age and encroaching senility (hope not yet) are working against me. Be gentle.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.