Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Are you talking about....

Are you talking about drive(s) within or attached to a PC/Mac shared out over the network for other devices like music streamers located in other parts of the house? This is essentially a NAS, but often more flexible.

I have such a setup but I still keep it quiet locally. The Mac Mini in my office is quiet and it directly drives my office DAC and amp. Additionally, it acts as a NAS for my network music streamer down in the basement.

So my Mac Mini performs double duty in this regard (office music server and NAS) and I can also use it to rip CDs or download hi-res material. And of course it will also run some demanding apps like HQPlayer. Same functionality can be had from a quiet PC.

I've thought about going the dedicated NAS route but for me it doesn't really make sense as that would mean yet another device on the network to be managed when I have all the NAS functionality I need -and more- in the Mac Mini.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.