Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Seven LAN cables and

Seven LAN cables and . . . you think my post was funny?

Note that two of those seven leads are separated from the others by a fibre optic link. Whatever, I made a gentle joke at mutual expense that you seemed to take not only seriously but triumphantly. Of course your post was funny. Was it not meant to be?

Each link and plug and socket may contribute it's own SQ. The skill or lack of it in termination may also have their effects.

I'm grateful for your comment but left wondering if you'd spotted that the posts I made in this and other threads compared four different brands of cable and plumped for the second cheapest, described which brand of connector I used, how I configured the leads and, in part, why; that I reported which make of (CA recommended) switch I used and the brand it replaced; at what speed I ran the LAN and how it compared sonically to higher speeds and so on. I also described re-working leads to get inter alia better termination (feeling, as I recall, that my skill with Telegartner plugs might have improved) and repeatedly trying them with and without in-line filters.

After I confessed that "the setup shown in the pic . . . took me several months to get 'right' ", it might have crossed your mind that that was because I was doing one thing at a time, listening, reversing and then reinstating or rejecting changes as I went and, at intervals, back-tracking to see if later changes made earlier ones redundant. IOW, all pretty standard stuff. I can't remember how many different power supplies, isolation schemes, etc I hooked up before trying the LPS-1 (which, as I'd ordered it to use elsewhere, had no dog in the fight) and deciding it was so far ahead of everything else that it had to stay, prior proposal be blowed.

IOW, I was well aware that "each link and plug and socket may contribute it's own SQ" and proceeded accordingly. Another inmate (whose approach you praised) did the obvious thing - repeated the simplest of the tweaks I'd described and, finding it working well enough to justify repeating in a different setup, did so, reported his result and sought further information.

I was reluctant to provide any on the forum because I knew that lifting my comments from a passing remark to something structured would instantly see me slapped down by those so expert that they can dismiss a lengthy project without reading posts with care or pertinent datasheets at all, let alone trying anything for themselves. Inevitably, the hauteur is followed up with remarks of the "Nope. I won't even try one of these devices" type and undocumented claims.

To sum up, techniques (tweaks?) for improving LAN connections in the audio context have made headway in recent months, esp over on CA. Some there adopted a passive approach ("better" leads, filters, local PSUs, etc), others an "active" one emphasising fibre optic links to a server. I originally went "passive" but was persuaded, in part by Steve's pieces in Audiostream, to add a fibre link. I was quickly convinced that the two approaches were complimentary and, spurred on by gratifying results, took the approach as far as I reasonably could given current technology and my funding.

And inmates talk about 'optimisation'?????????

No, though others still occasionally use the word in what we can probably agree is a casual manner, it's you who seems to feel the need to bang on even about passing quips long after everyone else has lost interest.

If anyone wants to comment in light of their own tests or ask questions, I'll try to contribute but I'll not respond further to jibes.

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.