Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: now with added coils . . .)

It sounds like you are already using a tuned 2 stage line filter with common mode filter first stage and differential mode filter second stage. That sounds like a really good starting place for trying out in various locations.

Not that you didn't already think of it or maybe already even doing this but since you didn't mention it a couple potential tweaks for tuning the common mode performance of the first stage come to mind.

Maybe running the CLC in a balanced differential CLC configuration with respect to live and neutral will help enhance common mode rejection performance of the first stage without sacrificing the second stages differential mode performance. Ie you'd still have the same X caps spanning line and neutral but the balanced configuration would have an a separate L (but half the L as compared to an equivalent single ended version of the filter) between the caps on both the line and neutral.

You could also try adding, in a balanced manner, 2 identical and appropriately rated Y caps. One from from live to earth and one from neutral to earth. I'd try variations on where they belong, ie on the transformer primaries, transformer secondaries, after the CLC??? Some where around around 1nF ought not put you up against code violation most locales and is probably a fair place to start experimenting. Adding the Y's like this is to try and enhance common mode noise rejection of the first stage.

The only other thing I might add is that remembering to swap the order of the stages with respect to source and load to see which way works better during experimentation is another thing that may very well be worthwhile.

Edit: maybe there is a use for a damping resistor from line to neutral after the CLC to enhance it's performance.

Edits: 01/28/17 01/28/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.