Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "Optimising" in the PC audio context

Optimisation in the engineering sense means something totally different.

So what DOES it mean "in the engineering sense"? You've been making similar points at intervals for at least eight years - since (IIRC) cics first used the word on this forum - but have yet to put us right. You also, as here, seem to confuse what you feel is mis-use of the word with, again in your opinion, a process that is in and of itself flawed.

To help clarify the first point, I looked up "optimise" in the Collins Dictionary. The definition includes "to find the best compromise among several often conflicting requirements, as in engineering design".

Is that wrong? If so, why? If not, can the word not reasonably include configuring an OS, whether performed entry by entry (as with that team-effort, post-cics cMP2 slimming marathon), by Delphic pronouncement (as with your recent Reg-edit tips) or (for those with better things to do in life) buying a little program that more or less does it automatically? Seems everyone else feels it can.

Dunno why but I also looked up "snipe". Its definition includes "to criticize adversely a person or persons from a position of security".

WRT the second point, I repeat that the microRendu's OS was not "optimised" as in slimmed down from a commerical release but configured from the ground up as and only as an audio player. Mercman's finding that his mega-buck Sonore PSU may perform less than perfectly has nothing to do with whether or not he understands what "optimisation" is. That said, I agree with you, soundchekk and hfavandepas that it's likely a system-level issue that may be eased by BandAid filtering but not necessarily "fixed" by it.

I'll respond separately to hfavandepas' points.

D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Optimising" in the PC audio context - Ryelands 03:34:14 01/27/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.