Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Slightly different question

(I said) uPnP / DLNA networking to play to a small headless device

(E State said) What is the advantage to adding another layer to playback since those devices already offer remote control?

I really didn't understand the meaning and purpose of your reply. By "those devices", do you mean "small headless devices"?

JRiver can do three DLNA roles:

- the server that provides metadata (tag) information and audio data to the other roles. As a DLNA server, JRiver can supply more than the standard set of metadata tags to the control role.

- The renderer that accepts audio data over a network connection. It may have DAC functionality built-in and output analog audio or it may output digital audio over a USB or SPDIF connection. The "small headless device" that I was referring to is a DLNA renderer.

- The control function that gets metadata information from the server and displays it so that the user can select what he wants to see or hear. Once the user has selected media content, the controller arranges for that content to be sent from the server to the renderer. Some generic uPnP apps on smartphones and tablets may provide uPnP control functions.

Some renderer devices may also have the control function.

I use DLNA networking on JRiver on my PC in my home office to provide audio and video in two other rooms in my house.

- A TCL Roku smart TV has DLNA renderer and control functions. I use JRuiver as the DLNA server only and choose media from the TV screen.

- A JRiver ID headless device functions as a DLNA renderer. I use JRiver on my PC as the server and as the DLNA controller. I use JRiver Webremote from an Android smartphone to control JRiver on the PC in that case. I can use customer views to select music just as I can from the PC itself.

DLNA provides one way to implement networking for audio/video playback. It may be useful to some people and not useful to others. It is just one of the functions that JRiver provides to meet different needs.

my blog: http://carsmusicandnature.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Slightly different question - Old Listener 15:14:30 01/26/17 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.