Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: From another thread...

Just think.

Good idea.

What you 'optimise' is not optimisation if small changes in your system brings either better or worse SQ.

False argument - see above. "Optimising" in the PC audio context means configuring an OS to favour audio reproduction, typically by disabling non-audio-related functions. It may, as you argue, be a misuse of the term but the rest of us know what it means even if I prefer to say "slimming". Whatever, a carefully configured OS is more likely to be responsive to minor changes in the overall setup, not less.

In passing and at risk of saying the obvious, the microRendu has not been "optimised", just not bloated in the first place.

Soundchekk is right to say: "Keep mains separated from DC and signal cables; keep HF stuff . . . separated from the rest; review your grounding scheme". And he was right many years ago when he recomended a decentish PSU for the switch that connects to the PC though it was only a start.

Soooo, today's tip?

If you drive an audio PC via ethernet, try running it at 100-BaseT or (better) 10-BaseT. That's an old tip now but the new one (at least I've not seen it anywhere else) is to use LAN cables that connect the green and orange pairs only (pins 1&2, 3&6). Omit or remove 4&5 and 7&8 as 10/100-BaseT doesn't need them. Best use Telegartner plugs and a decent stock LAN cable such as Excel (see link) or, probably, BJ. No need IMHO for boutique products, not even the well-documented Meicord cable. I bought two of those but they're no longer in use. Ditto ViaBlue CAT7, which are as good as Excel CAT6 but much pricier.

I don't know why but the difference in my system made by simply removing the unused pairs was very marked even though I'm already using a fibre-optic link to the server with the local media converter and other gubbins powered by an Uptone "supercapacitor" PSU and separated from the PC by LAN isolators. Viz, the biz. The sound is way better than that from ten-times-the-price Meicord cables and in a different league to Amazonic stock crap. Yup, I've tried them all. I'd wager that it compares well with Audioquest's mega-buck audio bling but that's beyond my reach.

And, yes, my audio PC was "optimised" / "slimmed" till its eyes watered.

HTH

D

Edits: 01/26/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.